Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Nostalgia

Oh my goodness...I really had a great time on the internet last night...I had a really hard time shutting down my computer so that Jerry could sleep. Now you all get to read about my adventure on "WHBQ-TV 13".

Let's go back to the mid 60's...that is a long time, but you can do it. Do you remember what you did on Saturdays. Maybe some of you loaded in the car and "went to town". Popcorn from the Ben Franklins, maybe lunch at the Johnson Cafe. You probably had to go to Grabers, or J C Penneys for something. Mom probably had to get some hosiery from C C Thomas...but if you stayed at home, I bet you were doing the same thing I was. Watching TV.

In the morning I watched cartoons, loved Heckel and Jeckel, and The Three Stooges. But last night I was reminded of the "Million Dollar Movie" that was on Channel 13 at 12 noon. Always a new movie...and the tune "it's Million Dollar Movie time". Sing it with me!

Then "rasslin" came on. Lance Russell and Dave Brown...just a note, Lance Russell is alive and well and in his 80's. I also believe that Dave Brown is still on the news and weather in Memphis. But I loved wrestling, I would set and watch it with my dad. I hated it when someone would get a chair and hit Jackie Fargo over the head. Man...why would anyone want to hurt a man who could do the "Fargo strut". Some of my other favorites...Tojo Yamamoto, The Interns, Sam Bass, Lou Thez...Sputnik Monroe...and the King Jerry Lawler. Side note...Jackie Fargo is alive and in his 80's and still does a few public appearances. Sam Bass and some of his tag teams were killed in an auto wreck, and Tojo took his own life because he was not going to be able to wrestle anymore. The enjoyment that these men gave to us kids...hold on...the adults enjoyed it too, cannot be measured. I watched a couple of the old clips of Tojo pulling some dirty moves, and Lance Russell saying they had to get help out there before somebody got killed...yea right.

Ok... guess another name that escaped me all these years... "Happy Hal Miller" and Funhouse. All the puppets, and things for kids to do...but people "Happy Hal". I can sing just about every word of the theme song. Tell me you would have remembered that name. Kind of like Trent Wood and StoryLand...which I was on, thank you very much.

At 5:00, I believe...Talent Party would come on, with George Klein. Now we all thought GK was cool. He would pull out an LP and probably sell a couple of dozen of them for whatever singer was performing. How he matured and got rich, and had a really good buddy named Elvis Presley. I don't know what old George is doing...maybe someone from Memphis can fill that in.

But here's where it got really good. Picture this, a hazy, foggy, afternoon...suddenly a horse drawn hearse pulls around out of the fog...the really scary man dressed in black gets down and looking around, opens the door to the hearse and pulls out a coffin. Then he pulls the top off of the coffin and smokey... special effects came out. You are watching "Sivad" the Monster of Ceremonies for "Fantastic Features" . Oh my...I loved watching him every Saturday evening...he could barely talk with the plastic dime store fangs...and his jokes were really bad...but I could watch, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, and all the really scary movies. Sivad's name was Watson Davis, and he died a couple of years ago at the age of 92. I really don't know if he had something to do with WHBQ but he was a staple there for many years.

That was my Saturday... I also was reminded of Rin Tin Tin, the Rifleman, Sky King, (remember Penny?) Anyway...I have some great memories from WHBQ-TV 13...thanks!

Please add your Saturday memories...

6 comments:

Sherry said...

I remember watching Savid in "Fantastic Features", and George Klein on Talent Party, that was a regular for me on Saturdays. I remember Sarah someone, (I believe she was the daughter of the owner of one of the funeral homes in Caruthersville) was on Talent Party one saturday and everyone was so taken by the fact that a local was on TV! (Was it Sarah Dean?)

I also remember The Patty Duke show. (not sure of the day of the week it was on) Heres one I bet you dont remember, The best of Fractured Fairy tales. It was a cartoon and I am not sure if it was only on saturday mornings, but it was great.

Ah the good ole days.

40th Reunion planning committee said...

I do not remember Fractured Fairy Tales, but I do remember the Patty Duke show. It is funny to see her in movies today playing an older woman...I still think of her as 16.

An old friend and I were chatting today about how lucky we were in Caruthersville during our high school years. Knoxs to eat lunch at, and Quinns Cafe...and we just walked. $1 for a plate lunch at the cafe. We were also trying to think of the name of the dairy bar that was across the street from Southside behind the Sinclair station, I hope someone can remember. We did have some good days!

Sherry said...

Was it the Quick Shake Inn? I put this on Topix to see if anyone remembered the name of the cafe across from Southside and this is the only name I got. I remember the cafe, but do not remember the name.

40th Reunion planning committee said...

Quick Shake sounds right...I kind of remember asking to go to the Quick Shake...Good job Sherry...are you planning on coming to the reunion?

Sherry said...

I honestly do not know if I will be attending or not. I have a few issues with my health and I never know if I am feeling good at that time or not. I know it will be a good time for all though, it sounds as if you all have done a great job of planning it.

40th Reunion planning committee said...

I sure hope you feel like coming...it is going to be good for everyone I think.