Monday, July 21, 2008

7th grade

My oldest granddaughter is going into the 7th grade next month. 12 years old and really excited about going into "Jr High". This made me think alot about the Class of 69...and our 7th grade...we had great dances in the gym to the music of the Hurricanes. We had Mr. Mitchell, Mr. Garland, Mrs. Nelson, Mrs. Ootz(?), Ms. Garner etc.... We had lunch in the cafeteria in the basement, those marvelous peanut butter cookies, we had two student newspapers printed on a mimeograph machine. We jumped on a trampoline in our PE class...and many of us fell over the end...at least I did...where's a spotter when you need one. There were the Beatles, ironing our hair, sweaters with matching knee high socks, Tigress perfume, boys were ehhh....boys spewing endearing words to the girls. JFK was assassinated, and we all know what class we were in when we heard the news. The cheerleaders cheered in wool skirts for the Jr High teams, and a lot of us thought Dwayne Potts was cool. I remember Lee Rood School so well. I once looked up the history on Mr. Rood...it is a shame that the school is gone, and his name forgotten.

What memories do you have of 7th grade? I know I forgot some of the teachers, and I can't remember the name of the principal...

No comments: