Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

I want to wish everyone a very happy Memorial Day. Especially the members of our class and other CHS classes who so valiantly served our country.

Most of the veterans of our class served during the Viet Nam war. Not a popular war, as none of them should be, but one that would affect all of us. I have memories of being at Semo and watching the tv as they drew birthdates out of a container for the lottery...our friends who would first be drafted to go into service. Some would be called, others would be deferred, and still a few waited out their number keeping a 1A status.

We knew so many who went to Viet Nam, we knew some who didn't return.

I don't believe that we as a country did enough for our Viet Nam veterans when they returned. I wish I had done more, now that I am older I would have been more appreciative. They were heroes...they were young men, as most heroes are, sent to a war that most never understood. It affected their lives forever. Most don't want to talk about their experiences, but indeed they should. Others need to understand what happened over there, what soldiers sacrificed to keep communism at bay.

Veterans of the Class of 1969...thank you for everything !!!!

Disclaimer...these are only my views...not meant to imply that everyone agrees with me...if you have your own thoughts, please add them to the comment section.

No comments: