Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The old neighborhood

I was watching old home movies last night. I became homesick for the old neighborhood. I lived at 311 East 18th St, in Caruthersville for 9 years. I have such great memories of the people that lived on my street.

Across the street lived a couple, the Spragues. Uncle Bub is what we called him. He was always coming over, when we first got our brand new Hula Hoop, he tried unsuccessfully to spin it around his waist. Their son was "Dusty" Sprague. He was several years older than me, but I always thought he was so nice looking. He would ride to school with my sister, wearing his cowboy shirt and hat.

On either side lived the Parkinsons, Parkie, Brancie, Joey, and the girls, and the Jones, Diane, Debbie & Vicky. We all played cowboys and indians. Behind us lived L.O. and Ann Goodman. I don't believe they had children, but they sure spent a lot of time with us.

There was a small little red house behind the Jones house, and a man name Shadrack lived in it. He lived quietly.

A little further down the street, Mary Joe Boyce, Larry & Terry Boyce, the Gurleys, the Patillos.
Mrs. Nelson, our teacher, and the Hardy girls, Frances, Melinda.

Mrs. Hollenseed had a little store a couple of blocks from us. We could walk to her store and buy "penny" candy. Maybe a Yoo Hoo, or a cold bottle of Coke.

The Kerseys, even my grandmother rented a small house on 18th for a few years. She attended the little church at the end of 18th close to the compress.

18th Street was a great neighborhood to grow up in...we could walk to Southside to school, we could ride our bikes down the sidewalk, and we had friends who could play out with us and catch fireflies, and our parents never worried about us being alone outside.

I was very sad to drive down 18th St after the tornado...it was probably the hardest hit area. But my house was still standing. My dad had built the house, and apparently had done a great job. It has been torn down, and another house has been built on the site. I will still drive down 18th Street when I visit Caruthersville. It will always be my home. The memories are too strong to ever forget. A little white siding house, with the best neighbors anyone could have.

No comments: