Thursday, September 11, 2008

9.11.2001

Many of us remember where we were the day that President Kennedy was assassinated. It will always be a part of history that we all shared. As will September 11, 2001.

My son lives in New York City, he has for 11 years. That particular day he was home with us due to the birth of our third grandchild on September 5th. He was to fly back to New York on the 13th. While watching the news the first plane struck the World Trade Center. I woke my son and we all started watching together as the tragedy unfolded. All of the shock of just watching, knowing that people were in that building.

Then my phone started ringing...all of our friends and neighbors wanting to know if my son was safe. I can't tell you how that felt. It hit me hard that if he had been there, I would have been helpless, as all of the families involved were. My son started trying to call his friends and co-workers. He could not reach anyone due to the phone system being overwhelmed.

That evening, my son had a message on his cell phone, which is a New York number...it was a young man who had called the wrong number, and was searching for information on his father who was a firefighter. My son called him back to tell him that he had called the wrong number so he could call the correct number to get help. He told my son that his father had been involved in the early rescue, and they had not heard from him. My son got his name and wished him the best. He looked on the list of victims when it was released and the young man's father was listed as a fatality. No one that my son knew was hurt, but he will always remember his conversation with this young man and what he went through that day. He still lives in New York City.

Today I hope we all put our politics aside, say a prayer for the victims of the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and all the flights involved. Pray for continued strength for their families, and pray for our troops and for safety for our country.

I invite you all to share where you were and how you felt on that day 7 years ago.

No comments: