Monday, September 29, 2008

Caruthersville's Fair

Cape has a big district fair that was just over last week...I got my monster bag of cotton candy which is just about all I can handle. But when the fair comes to town...I always think of the Caruthersville Fair.

For several years I lived just down the road from the fairgrounds...night after night I would see the brightly lit ferris wheel turning...and I could hear the screams from the kids riding the paratrooper (which was one of my favorite rides). My friends and I could ride the Scrambler and the Tilt A Whirl all night. And you always wanted to be the one on the end of the Scrambler that didn't get "squoosed"..cause getting "squoosed" could cause a girl to laugh so hard they chanced wetting their pants. Sorry, but true.

Earlier years there were the "shows"...as my dad would call them the "hootchy cootchy" shows...the boys would always come to school the next day and tell us how they would sneak in and get a peek. Anyone want to admit to that...I have names.

There were horse races...I once presented a blanket to the winner of one of the races...standing next to Senator Stuart Symington and Thomas Eagleton. At twelve I could have cared less.

I still have a sawdust clown that I once bought as a souvenir...and we used to get the silver necklaces and have our friends names engraved on them and wear them at least a week before the chain broke.

Malone's taffy...which still frequents the Cape fair...loved the fresh taste of a warm piece of taffy.
Candy apples which no one could eat because of our braces...

We always looked forward to the fair coming to town... I have to say that a year or so ago I decided to share the Scrambler ride with my granddaughter..I had great expectations of the great rides I always had with my friends...got sick as a dog...yep, I'll just stick with the monster bag of cotton candy, and watch everyone else turn circles...woooo!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have ever laughed any harder than we used to laugh while riding the Scrambler at the fair! Just remembering that makes me laugh! I also remember that no matter who rode the ferris wheel with me, they always made the seat rock back and forth at the top...a terrifying event for me. I believe that's why I am afraid of heights, to this day. Also does anyone remember the cupie dolls at the fair? When I was little, my trip to the fair was not complete without one. The candied apples (no braces for me) and the cotton candy were my favorites. My last encounter with a ride at the fair was with my daughter several years ago at the Dyer County Fair. I, too, got dizzy and sick and had to leave. I guess I'll just stick with my memories of the Scrambler!

Anonymous said...

I got a cupie doll once with all the feathers on the top of it...I am sure I just pulled all of them off to put on a Barbie or something.